Wednesday, July 29

Celebrating Bob Wayne at SDCC

While pursuing a comic book initiative for my last employer, Bob Wayne from DC was kind enough to introduce me to his contacts in the industry and show me the ropes.

His sense of humor and Yoda-like advice was very much appreciated, and his love of the medium made all of our interactions incredibly exciting to the fanboy in me. Once, when I was visiting New York, Bob took the time to give me a tour of the DC and Mad Magazine offices, and it will go down as one of the high points of my comic book-oriented life!

So it was with great pleasure, and no surprise, that the CCI presented Bob with an Inkpot award last Saturday during a DC panel for his contributions to the industry and the SDCC. There was an award ceremony (more like 5 minutes of good-natured roasting) and he was his usual curmudgeony self in response (more details here).

I had the opportunity to talk with him right before the panel, and, true to form, he was quizzing me on my new business, checking what I was reading, and sharing fun antidotes about comics, the con and life in general. His enthusiasm for comics is infectious.

During our conversation, I swear no less 5 people interrupted us in the ten minutes we were talking to give him hugs, shake his hand, or to say hello. Clearly, he's a class act, and it was nice to see him be recognized for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment